|Plantation on Java, circa 1939, photo taken by Marianne (Tikus) Van Bael|
“We purpose in this little book to give everything that is necessary for a tourist to know when travelling
are here given for the benefit of strangers. It may be necessary to
draw the attention of tourists to the fact that the Malay language is
about the simplest in the world and we hope that the few phrases
here given, may be of some help to the traveller” (The wonderland” by Batavia Vereeniging Toeristenverkeer)
- Where is the W. C? = Mana kamar ketjil?
- I’d like some tea or coffee = Saja minta te (k op pie)
- Policeman = Opas policie
- Third class = Klas tiga
- Here Coolie, take my luggage = Sini coolie angkat barang
- Don't forget before dinner to clean my bedcurtain properly from mosquitos. Remember, if you don't look after the mosquitos, you don't get your fee = Djangan loepa bekin brisih klamboe baaibaai deri njamok. Ingat kaloe kwe tida djaga njamok kive tida dapat present.
- First class = Klas satoe
- Bring me a bottle Claret No.10 = Kassi satoe bottcl anggoer merra
- Bring me to the Concordia Club = Pigi di kamar bola Concordia.